Blogroll
About Me

Me!

Name: casey

Location: Seattle, Washington, United States


Ads

Stuff


Seattle Weblogs

Blogwise - blog directory

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

BlogHop.com
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst

Powered by Blogger

February 24, 2005

Overweight Men With Skinny Women

I've been reading a lot about something I constantly notice on TV: beautiful, skinny women are always paired with overweight men, but never the opposite. I was complaining about to my boyfriend about this last night and he pointed out to me that we fit that stereotype, so who am I to say anything about it?

Am I just following stupid gender roles without even realizing it? I consistently date overweight men, in fact, I PREFER them that way. My mom asked me why once, and I told her it was simple: they treat me better. They appreciate me more than someone who is used to having model girls all over them. And frankly, I have less competition. It's not like I'm not attracted to the guys I date, quite the opposite, I just don't happen to be attracted to the guys based on skinniness, and I happen to find a slightly overweight belly adorable.

Also, overweight and unhealthy are not always the same thing. I prefer guys who eat healthy like me and aren't try to gain MORE weight. My boyfriend and I go to the gym together regularly and are both health conscious.

On top of all this, I'm paranoid about gaining weight and thus LOSING my boyfriend. Because I know what he is attracted to, and it's not me+50lbs.

Has the media's images of women ruined me?

2 Comments:

At February 24, 2005 5:19 PM, Blogger Vishal Bharat said...

I have often wondered why doesn't the reverse ever happen. I am sure their are overweight women with skinny guys, but fewer in numbers.

Like a woman gets paranoid about putting on some weight (my wife has the same paranoia) a man is probably paranoid about being considered an outcast if he refuses to have a beer with the guys.

We simple have more overweight men and skinny women. Thus the statistical anamoly.

I guess the more important issue is why do we all fall in the stereotype trap - when we have the wisdom of being aware.

Am not implying you put on an extra 50 pounds, but lose the fear of putting on 50 pounds. And we the overwieght men could try and say no to the beer when we know that our muscles from yester-years have melted and collected in our bellies.

 
At November 06, 2005 8:41 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

top